Monday, December 8, 2008

First Christmas

From My Baby Book:
Kathy's first Christmas was marred by Rodney being in the hospital. She got lots of gifts - dolls, sweaters, dresses, several squeaky toys, and stuffed toys.
Kathy spent the day with Irene Wilkinson. We had planned a beautiful Christmas - spending the day at home with the children. Of course our plans were shattered by Rodney's sudden attack. Kim and Rickey spent Christmas with Grandpa Hogan and Grandma Luella. We spent the day running back and forth between the hospital and home. We've got a lot to be thankful for.
Obviously, I don't remember my first Christmas! It's incredible that Mom recorded all of this with all that was going on. She amazes me with the comment "We've got a lot to be thankful for."

How wonderful to have friends to rely on in times of great need. Irene and Kenneth Wilkinson were true friends to Mom. Their two sons, Gary and Calvin, were probably under the age of 10 on this particular Christmas, but they willingly took care of me as well.

Irene was also there for Mom when Mom and Dad first moved to Fresno around 1960. They had known each other in Visalia and Kenneth and Irene were faithful to take Mom to church for many years. I can only imagine how my life would have turned out had it not been for these wonderful people.

Any readers from Fresno, please give Irene a Christmas hug for me!

4 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Irene is a true jewel, just as was your mother - that's why they bonded so well as friends. Can't think of a thing I could ask Norma or Irenet for that they wouldn't do their best to help. Very nice post. BTW: I tagged you. See my first post of today. Sorry?!?

Kimberly said...

Kathy,

Hearing all of that about the Wilkinsons brought tears to my eyes. They truly were the very best neighbors and friends we ever had. Just 2 days ago I drove down their street on the way to Dad's and thought, I should stop by to see Irene. I wonder if she has any idea of the impact she had on our family. Maybe when you're here we can stop by and see her.

Also, I am just amazed that through all Mom was going through, she still had time to say thanks! Wow!

Love you,

Kim

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Hopper,
"Servant's heart" comes to mind when I think of Irene. I love her so much and she is one of those people that I have treasured even more as I've gotten older.

Kim,
It would mean a lot for us to go see Irene - let's do it!
I'm continually amazed that I even have a baby book - how in the world did Mom find time to write in it??
Love you!

Kathy McElhaney said...

P.S. Sis. Hopper, love the game! Now I just need to choose a book, I have several scattered about the house right now...

Verse of the Day