Thursday, December 11, 2008

A "Mary" Christmas

In 2001 John Grisham wrote the book "Skipping Christmas." Since then it has become an annual read for me. What would it be like to skip the chaos that comes at Christmas? No parties, luncheons, dinners, or banquets. No elaborate decorating schemes or exorbitant gift buying. No scurrying from store to store to find the hearts desire of all 50 of my dearest friends and family members! What would it be like to escape it all for a tropical retreat instead?

As I was thinking about "skipping" some things, I realized what I really want is a "Mary" Christmas. Not the Mary we read about in the Christmas story, but Mary, the sister of Lazarus as found in Luke 10:38-42. It's so easy to be a Major Martha during this time of the year, but finding time to sit at His feet becomes more and more difficult.

So, in the midst of decorating, shopping, baking, shopping, wrapping, shopping, partying, and more shopping, I want to be like Mary. While I'm "decking the halls," I want to take time to "fall on my knees" and "adore Him."

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Absolutely beautiful post. I want to also take time to fall on my knees and adore Him.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have to agree with Karen Hopper's post that this post is absolutely beautiful, and that it's also the time to really think about all that God has done for us, for me, for my precious family -- to thank Him for enrobing Himself in flesh to dwell amongst us.... I, personally, tolerate all the "hype" that comes with Christmas, but what I love the most is spending time wtih family, seeing the church's Christmas productions, the wonderful weather (although it's not as cold as I would like!), and Christmas vacation!!

Verse of the Day