Tuesday, December 23, 2008

More Christmas Changes

The old saying "Nothing ever stays the same" is definitely true. Our Christmas gatherings grew from six to seven to eight. Then were we 11, 12, and finally 13 when Les and I got married. We only had a few of those, before our number started to grow smaller.

Christmas 1994 was my first year without my hero. We were without Rod for the first time and we all felt his absence. The one who entertained us with his crutch guitar was now celebrating with the angels. We've had other losses through the years, and each loved one is missed so much. But I always want to take the time to remember the years we were blessed to have them.

I know there are those reading my blog who are also missing someone this Christmas. Whether it's your first year or it has been many, I hope you will take time to remember the joy they brought. Recreate a special tradition, hold close a decoration from long ago, and let the memories warm your heart.

Tucked in Mom's Bible is a card I received the first Christmas we were without her. It is from Sis. Joyce Baglin and her final words were, "May God's love comfort you in a special way this first year without your mom... but are you really without those you love?"

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

The making of special moments when we have those we love with us, make memories when they have departed. Kathy, your blog title expresses my sentiments today. Love you, and may you and Les have a Merry Christmas filled with blessings and love.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Hopper, I think Christmas must have a double ache for you, since it was Mark's birthday as well. He will always be missed by my family, too.
I love you and your family and hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

Verse of the Day