I'm wondering if I should change the name of this blog to "McMoments in History!" I just can't help it, I want to do more than just post pictures of where we were. Some are significant places in the history of our world. Others are just so remarkable I have to find out more. So if you're a little bored with the history lessons, please feel free to just look at the pictures! Or go directly to my photo site HERE. We had several days on our cruise that were non history related (Sicily, Santorini, and Capri) so stick with me if you can.
After watching the procession on Sunday morning, we continued our tour of the Castel Sant'Angelo, otherwise known as the Masoleum of Hadrian. Hadrian was Roman Emperor from 117 to 138 A.D. It was initially commissioned by the Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum.
There is a legend that the Archangel Michael appeared atop the mausoleum, sheathing his sword as a sign of the end of the plague of 590 A.D., giving the castle its present name - Castel Sant'Angelo (Castle of the Holy Angel.) I have to admit, this angel is a lot more buff than the ones we usually see paintings or sculptures of!
Since 1277, the castle is connected to the Vatican City though a fortified corridor called Passetto, about 800 meters long. This passage was key to the survival of Pope Clement VII during the looting that took place in Rome in 1527.
There are five levels:
Level 1: The Mausoleum (place where the tombs were, at the front of the ramp) and the access ramp.
Level 2: the prison and the warehouses for cereals and oil.
Level 3: military use with two patios.
Level 4: the papal apartment, with frescoes by Perino del Vaga, Giulio Romano and other artists of the school of Raphael. as well as the so called Paul III, Clement VII, VIII and Leon Clement X rooms.
And some tourists...
I think I have one more post about our third day in Rome. We didn't stay in one spot for long but we did see a lot. And had an amazing lunch!
No comments:
Post a Comment