Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas 2013 - Making Memories

 

Christmas day was simply amazing. We decided about a month ago that we would spend Christmas here in Hawaii - we may never get to do this again!  Les had a few ideas and we just went where we wanted as the day progressed.  We took over 300 pictures, so I've made collages - enjoy our day!  (You can click on the collage to see a larger view.)

We were up and out the door by 6:00 a.m.  Destination?  Sandy Beach to watch the sunrise. We weren't the only ones with this idea, but we had a little bit of the beach to ourselves as we enjoyed the start of the day.



We then headed to the Koko Head Crater Trail. This is a 1.5 mile round trip hike up railroad ties. The United States military used this location for a bunker during World War II. It is SO steep!  Especially for someone my height with short legs.

At one point the trail gives way and becomes a bridge. I took the "easy" way out and climbed rocks instead.   There are no action shots of Les, I was too busy hanging on for dear life to take pictures!


Thirty four minutes and over 1,000 feet later we were at the top!  The views were breathtaking!  Diamond Head with a rainbow, Hanauma Bay, Hawaii Kai, and Sandy Beach were all in view. 



Then it was time to head down!  This was tough as well, I spent the upper third holding on to the tracks as I gingerly stepped down. I opted for the bridge bypass going down as well.   And we were done!


It was after 10:00 when we got cleaned up and started looking for breakfast. Fortunately Zippy's was open. French toast, eggs, hash browns and Spam!  I ate Spam when I was a kid, but it has been a long time. Spam is standard Hawaiian fare, so we both had it. 


We traveled to the Windward side of the island.  Les got to Face Time with his parents while they were having dinner with Lisa and her family.



Continuing our loop, we headed to the North Shore. We stopped at one of the many shrimp trucks. Shrimp cocktail and coconut shrimp made a great midday snack!


The waves weren't huge on the North Shore, but they sure were pretty!  We got rained on, of course. It's not a day in paradise without a little pineapple mist.  We wanted shave ice, but the only place open was taking cash only.  We had about 20 cents between us, so we had to pass!


More than 100 miles later, we got home around 3:30. After getting cleaned up and relaxing for a little while, we went out to catch the sunset!  



Christmas dinner was Round Table Pizza. We went Hawaiian style on one half and Maui Zaui (with Polynesian sauce) on the other.  We weren't the only ones having pizza. The place was packed and the takeout business was hopping!

We finished the night opening gifts. We didn't buy a lot this year - mostly running and cycling gear!  The gift of time together is the best!

2 comments:

jennifer lord said...

What an amazing day!!!

Cyndi Kaye said...

What a fabulous, special Christmas which I'm sure you will both remember for years to come. I love your photos, so beautiful.

Looking forward to your return to the mainland. = )

Verse of the Day