Monday, January 14, 2013

Keep Going

Don't forget!  This blog will be going private next Sunday, January 20th.  If you still want to read it, please go here for the all the details!

We have really been having winter around here this year.  I can't remember when we've had so many days with lows in the 30s.  This is what I got up to this morning:


I dressed appropriately and headed out to run.  It was COLD.  Then I had a big surprise - there was ice on the ground!  I skated across a couple of patches, then became very careful.  As I always say, I run for my health.  Slipping on ice would not be good for my health!

I couldn't help thinking that's what happens so often in life.  We're humming along, everything seems fine, then we hit a slippery patch!  We have to adjust our stride, but we can't stop.  We're in a race to the finish.

Bro. Disotell preached a great message last night titled "Where Do You Go When You Get Nothing?  You Go Again!"  Whatever you're praying for, waiting for, hoping for - keep it up!  Don't give up now.  Your next prayer may be the one that brings the answer.

As I pushed the pace on today's run, I reminded myself that running in the wind always makes me stronger.  The next time I run without wind, it will seem easy.  It's never time to quit!

DON'T QUIT

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

- Author unknown

I had to add this quote that came from Runner's World this morning:
I realize that I have been blessed with health and strength to overcome not only the miles on the road, but also to overcome the hard times in life when you want to throw in the towel. When I cross the line now, it is a celebration of the fact that I didn't quit.
~Tasya Lacy, U.S. Navy Human Resources Officer

No comments:

Verse of the Day