We have been having special services this week with Pastor Steve Kelly from Kamiah, Idaho. He preached a powerful message last night called "The Power of Parental Convictions." I don't know if I've ever heard a better message to parents, future parents and grandparents about their responsibilities in raising children.
Genesis 18:19 says, "For I know him, that he will
command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep
the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring
upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him." The Lord is speaking about Abraham, before Isaac is born. He knew that Abraham would raise godly seed. Following God's laws was in Abraham's heart.
Bro. Kelly talked about each of his four children, decisions that were made in guiding them. Times when he had to say "no" about who they spent time with. He talked about one of his daughters who was still single at 28. When he intervened in a situation, she listened and God has blessed her since. All four of their children are living for God because the Kellys followed the laws of God when raising them.
I thought about times in my life when I was told "no." Mom was very consistent. When she said "no" she meant it. I remember a Saturday night when we had a special service. I wanted to go out with friends afterwards. She said, "That's fine, you can go tonight or tomorrow night, but not both." We always went out on Sunday nights after church. I had to choose one or the other. My friends said, "Just beg her, she'll change her mind." My response was, "No, if I try that she may not let me go out either time." I knew she wasn't going to change her mind. But I was safe in that.
There was more than one time that my pastor said "no" about someone I was dating. I remember many tears as I listened and obeyed. It was hard, but he did it because he loved me. He prayed for me and wanted God's best. I'm so glad I listened! If I had gone my own way, I would have missed out on Les and the great blessings God has brought in our life.
I know it's not easy raising children and teenagers. Being the "bad guy" at times must be so hard and discouraging. But I'm thankful for the many times a stop sign was held up in my life, it kept me from falling off a cliff that would have led to destruction.
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6
No comments:
Post a Comment