
I read a fascinating book while we were traveling to Florida. Demon: A Memoir by Tosca Lee is an incredible, thought provoking read. Here is the book description:
One night changes everything.Lucian is a fallen angel ~ he poses as many types of people throughout the book as he tells his story to Clay. This book really made me think about the fallen angels. How they view the world ~ they've seen it since the beginning. How they feel about humans. How they feel about God and His love toward us.
Recently divorced and mired in a meaningless existence, Clay drifts from his drab apartment to his equally lusterless job as an editor for a small Boston press until the night Lucian finds him and everything changes with the simple words: I'm going to tell you my story and you are going to write it down and publish it.
What begins as a mystery soon spirals into chaotic obsession as Clay struggles to piece together Lucian's dark tale of love, ambition, and grace only to discover that the demon's story has become his own.
And then only one thing matters: learning how the story ends.
Here is an excerpt about the birth of Christ, described by Lucian as "the time of that horrible, eerie night"
"The babe. I had heard it." She lowered her head to clutch at a soft tuft of white hair. “Had I blood, it would have frozen in my veins, for I recognized the voice in that human cry. And the knowledge of it rushed upon me all at once: Elohim, Creator Almighty, had sent that part of himself, the very part that had provided the light of that first and re-created Eden, the part that had spoken the words for the forming of the cosmos before my inception and for my own creation, had planted himself in the womb of an insignificant girl. He had arrived now in person.”I had never considered the demons recognizing Who Jesus was at His birth. But it makes perfect sense. They knew His voice. They saw the angels. "He had arrived now in person." They knew exactly Who He was.
What really made me think was how often Lucian pointed out the mercy God has poured out on mankind. The angels sinned once and they have never been forgiven. Never. What if I never had a chance after my first sin? Wouldn't I hate those who got repeated chances as well? Demon gave me a lot to think about and be thankful for.
6 comments:
That sounds like the creepiest book EVERRRR!!! LOL! Yet, it sounds very inspiring...if I knew that I wouldn't be in my house alone for the next YEAR straight I would ACTUALLY consider reading it!!! Actually, I think My brother would really like it...I think that would be a good Christmas present for him!!! Thanks for the review!!! Have you ever read the screwtape letters?
I promise it is not creepy! (Nothing like Frank Peretti's "This Present Darkness") Les read it and loaned it to me. I don't want to give too much away, but there is part of the book that actually makes you feel kinda sorry for the demons.
I have listened to the Screwtape Letters on tape, but it's been a long time.
Mary,
I think you should buy it for your brother and let him loan it to you!
Yeeees!!! I think I'm gonna do that...should I look at Family CHristian or just go on Amazon???? My brother's really like this present darkness...AND have you ever read or listened to Father Gilbert's DEAD AIR??? OMW!!! It was soooo goood...BUUUUUUT...I couldn't sleep for like 6 months straight...LOL! I just bought my brother the Screwtape letters for his bday!!!
I would check Family Christian, Amazon and Christianbook.com to see which one has the best price ;)
I don't think I've read Father Gilbert's Dead Air. I go back and forth with those kinds of stories - I have to been in the right frame of mind so I don't lose any sleep over them (see today's post about fear). I really enjoy Biblical fiction, unless the author strays from the truth.
Actually, they are audio dramas put out by focus on the family...really good....but that one in the series is just like...AAAAAAAAA!!! LOL! Ima look for that book there!!!
Post a Comment