Friday, December 9, 2011

Blogger of the Month Award


I was awarded Blogger of the Month on Ashlyn DeAro's blog. If you saw that, you might be wondering "How is she Aunt Kathy? How are the McElhaneys and DeAros related?" Well, we're not! When Ashlyn was really little (starting at about 2 or 3) she sat with us in church a lot. When Ashlyn was about 5, she spent a weekend with me and her mom asked if she could call me Aunt Kathy and that's what I've been ever since.


Oh, the fun I've had with Ashlyn over the years! She has been a source of much humor....


When she was little she had trouble saying her Rs. She was also a little confused about days. One time while getting over a cold, she told us, "Tomowo I was sick, but now I bettu."


Another time, she had a conversation with Les that went something like this:
Ashlyn: Do you like Paloma?
Les: Yes
A: Do you like Danae?
L: Yes
A: Do you like cinnamon bread?
L: Who? Oh... yes
A: Do you have some?
L: No
A: Tell her to buy some! (as she pointed at me!)


We use to have a sister in our church who would always sing before she testified. One night, as she stood, Ashlyn whispered to me, "Sister Lewis is going to sing." As Sister Lewis started sing, Ash leaned back over and said, "Told ya!"

But I am so proud of the young lady Ashlyn has become. When her family started a church, Ashlyn jumped right in to help in every way. She sings, helps with Sunday school, prays in the altar, invites people to church, and is a blessing in so many ways! But she's still a source of humor...


Ashlyn, thanks for awarding me such a prestigious award! I'm proud to be your Aunt Kathy. Love you much, girly!

3 comments:

Mary Frances said...

Awwww!!! ASHLYN!!! She's soooo CUTE!!!

G DeAro said...

Sis. McElhaney, Awww! I remember Ash and her "R's". Haha! Wow, that seems so long ago. On one hand I wanted to cry remembering my little girl. On the other hand, I too am so proud of her. You said of her, "...she is a blessing in so many ways." Yes, I too agree. She is such a blessing to us. I heard a saying one time that it takes a town to raise a child and I thank you for the time you invested in her life. Thank you for reminding me of the blessing God gave me. Love ya!

Ash said...

Haha Ohmyword these pictures!! I rememeber going to your house making cookies, playing on the water bed, hiding in the closet, and much more lol.
Love ya Aunt Kathy!

Verse of the Day