Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 Bible Reading Plan


The start of a new year always brings resolutions. Here are some of the most popular according to USA.gov:
  • Drink Less Alcohol
  • Get a Better Education
  • Get a Better Job
  • Get Fit
  • Lose Weight
  • Manage Debt
  • Manage Stress
  • Quit Smoking Now
  • Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
  • Save Money
  • Take a Trip
  • Volunteer to Help Others
I'm not big on New Year's resolutions - it seems they are almost a joke. "My New Year's resolution is to not make any resolutions." "My New Year's resolution is to eat dessert everyday." That is not to say we shouldn't make plans to do better. But our motivation should be for the right reasons, not just to check a little box.

With that in mind, I've changed my Bible Reading plan for 2011. There are dozens of plans that will help you read the Bible in a year - you can find some here. I've tried many of them and have read the Bible through many times. I have also fallen way behind and struggled to catch up, "speed reading" my way through the Minor Prophets and other Old Testament books. I don't think that is what God is looking for in daily Bible reading!

I've prayed about studying the Bible versus reading the Bible this year. I don't want to feel pressured to check a box, I want to immerse myself in His Word. I have started reading the chronological Bible, but I have started in the book of Acts. I've looked ahead and before I finish Acts I will also have read a number of Paul's letters to the churches. I don't have a finish date in mind, if it takes me all year to just read Acts and the Epistles but I've grown in my walk with God, I'll consider that a success!

2 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Reading His Word is such an important part of our Christian walk. Pray yours was a wonderful Christmas and that the New Year floods you and Les with goodness. Love ya.

Mary Frances said...

Thats cool! I didn't make it through my Bible reading this past year...mainly because I fell behind and then I didn't feel like I couldn't catch up to finish in time so I just gave up. But I've decided that for this next year that instead of starting all over again i'm just gonna keep on going where I left off this past year!

Verse of the Day