Wednesday, September 29, 2010

No Place Like Home

Home is where one starts from.
- T. S. Eliot
I took a trip to Fresno over the weekend. I enjoyed every minute of it! Saturday night I had dinner with Dad, Barbara, Kim, Rodney, Krysten and Lauren. We laughed, talked over each other, got caught up, and just enjoyed being together. I was at home.
Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.
- John Howard Payne
Sunday I walked into Truth Tabernacle. I love that place! It represents the first 27 years of my life. I sat with my Aunt Joyce and Uncle Ken. I saw more friends that I can name, especially because I know I'd forget someone! I saw some of the cutest babies - an itty bitty, beautiful girl who is six months old and a handsome, strapping boy who is 15 months. I listened to the choir sing and heard a long time friend preach. I was home.
Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action.
- Mother Teresa
Monday night I picked Les up at LAX at midnight. He had been to Tennessee for a visit. He saw his parents, both siblings, one brother-in-law, two nieces and a nephew. He had been home but I was glad he was back home with me. Tonight we'll be in church at Victory Tabernacle in Burbank. I'll be at home.
The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.
- Maya Angelou
Can "Home" be more than one place? I think so. I hope you have more than one place that you call home. Places you can go and be who you are.
If Home is Where The Heart is ...
by John McLeod
If Home is where the heart is
Then may your Home be blessed
A shelter from the storms of Life
A place of rest,
And when each day is over
And toil put in its place
Your Home's dear warmth
Will bring its smile
To light the saddest face!

And someday, I'll plan to go Home forever!
Just Over in the Glory Land

I’ve a home prepared where the saints abide,
Just over in the glory land;
And I long to be by my Savior’s side,
Just over in the glory land.

Chorus:
Just over in the glory land,
I’ll join the happy angel band,
Just over in the glory land;
Just over in the glory land,
There with the mighty host I’ll stand,
Just over in the glory land.

I am on my way to those mansions fair,
Just over in the glory land;
There to sing God’s praise and His glory share,
Just over in the glory land.

What a joyful thought that my Lord I’ll see,
Just over in the glory land;
And with kindred saved, there forever be,
Just over in the glory land.

With the blood-washed throng I will shout and sing,
Just over in the glory land;
Glad hosannas to Christ, the Lord and King,
Just over in the glory land.

5 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

From Karen Hopper:

Home can be many places...but oh for that final home...in Heaven. Glad you got to spend time in Fresno even though, I'm sure, it was a lot warmer than your place. And when you talked about the people in TT, I was imagining who you were speaking of - brought back memories.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Hopper,
I hit delete on your comment instead of publish! Fast fingers got me in trouble...

It was actually cooler in Fresno this weekend - "only" in the 90s while LA was sweltering in triple digits.

TT is definitely family - so many people that I love dearly.

Joyce Baglin said...

Kathy loved this post.
I share your sentiments about home.
Regardless of where we go
no other place like home.

This world is not our home
We are only passing through.

Thanks for sharing so many good words with us.

Love you,
Sis B

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. B,
The one missing on Sunday was you! Would have loved to have seen you.

Sissy Chrissy said...

What a sweet, sweet post! I thank God that Bro. McElhaney married you and you are now part of our family! I have come to love Truth Tabernacle with all its wonderful saints. I am burning miles on our vehicles taking my girls up there whenever the opportunity presents itself and Pastor White give us the okay! Yes, there is no home like home sweet home!

Love ya!

Verse of the Day