Thursday, September 2, 2010

Knowing Your Strengths

Twice this week Les and I have ridden on the Las Llayas Canyon Trail. I really like the first 3.5 miles, it's an average of 4% grade, some sandy areas, but nothing I can't handle. At the 3.5 mile mark is the "Y." At that point the trail takes an ugly turn and the grade quickly gets in double digits. I have gone about a mile further up the trail, but it is so hard, I really dread it! I can barely pedal, even in granny gear!

I tried something new when we rode on Tuesday. When we got to the "Y," I told Les to keep going. I then turned around, went about 2 miles down the trail, turned back around and came back to the "Y." This worked perfectly! The 2 miles of downhill gave my legs a chance to recover and I enjoyed the second time up even more. Meanwhile, Les got in a better workout as well.

We used the same strategy again this morning and I was pleased with my results. I can tell the ride is still pushing me, it's hard, but doable. I'm getting stronger and getting in lots of miles. But, I am not Les on the bike - he is so much stronger than me!

Do you find yourself silently "competing" with someone in life? Whether it's the type of car you drive or size home you own, the number of solos you sing in the choir or how many Sunday nights you play for service. Are you comparing yourself to someone else? Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians 10:12 "For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."

Just as it is not wise or reasonable to think that I can ride as strongly as Les, it is not wise to compare ourselves to anyone else. I am working on my own riding and handling skills. So must we all work on improving the talents and abilities that God has given us. Let your gift make room for itself. Proverbs 18:16 "A man's gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men."

1 comment:

Carol Connell said...

Good post, Sis. McElhaney. I've known for a long time the dangers of comparing myself to others, but every once in a while, I catch myself falling into that trap. Actually, God is the one that alerts me to it. There will always be those with talents and abilities greater than us and lesser than us. The important thing is that we just try to do our best for God. Thanks for this thoughtful post.

Blessings,

Sis. Connell

Verse of the Day