Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Thoughts From a Triathlete

The last page of my latest Fitness magazine featured Laurel Wassner. Laurel is a professional triathlete - she runs, swims, and bikes. I cannot imagine excelling in all three areas. I run, but don't even excel in that! She is also teammates with her twin sister, Rebeccah.

What really makes Laurel special is she is a cancer survivor. Nine years ago, when she was just 23, she was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. There were several of Laurel's quotes in the article, and I thought I would share these two:

"At my sickest point, all I wanted was a ponytail. I would dream about having that ponytail - it was a symbol of health and regaining a more normal routine."
I remember Mom losing her hair. Hats, scarves, and an occasional wig, took the place of her glorious hair, which she had kept in a ponytail for years. But it's not just cancer patients who long for normal routine. When our world gets rocked, it's the simple things that sound pretty good. In a world that is anything but normal, I'm so glad there is a God who is the same yesterday, today, and forever!




"Fitness is the reason my cancer doctors say I responded so well to chemo. The stronger my body, the better my chance for beating this disease."


Oh what I could say about that quote! My soapbox is calling! But I will resist and only say, "TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY!" I've stepped down now... have a great day!

No comments:

Verse of the Day