Sunday, April 26, 2009

Naples - Day 2

We got up a little earlier today - not much! We ate breakfast around noon!! We then headed to the Naples Zoo. If you know me very well, you know I was raised with a wide variety of animals and I love them! Read about all that by clicking on Fultz's Funny Farm and McElhaney's Menagerie!

The Naples Zoo is not extremely large, but they had quite a few things we enjoy. Two of my favorite animal types - big cats and primates!

We got to see a lion being fed. The trainer is the grandson of the founders of the Naples Zoo and has been working with big cats since he was a child. He said there is a picture of him as a toddler with a baby leopard!



We then wandered around the zoo, checking out the tigers, leopards, alligators, porcupines, gazelles, wallabies, and Madagascar's Fosa.



Another highlight was the Primate Expedition Cruise. We road a boat around Primate Islands. The primates are free to roam the islands because they can't swim so there is no danger of them escaping!



We also enjoyed a Predator Show. One of the predators that didn't seem like a predator was the hedgehog which kills cobras!



On our way out, we took one more pass by the lions and he was very active. He then started roaring! If you've never been near a lion when it roars, it is truly a sight and sound!!



This evening we ate overlooking the ocean, watched the sunset on the beach and then walked a while. I don't know if we can get any limper... Unfortunately Les has to get up early tomorrow - it's work time for him! I've been keeping track of stores I want to visit!!

4 comments:

vivian_yvette said...

Happy birthday Sis McElhaney!!! It's 12:14 over here in Cali on April 27th! I hope you have a wonderful day!
I love you!
Viv

Kathy McElhaney said...

Thanks, Viv!

Did I miss yours or is it coming up??

Love you!

Sissy Chrissy said...

Oh my word, it looks so wonderful over there and so relaxing. The beach looks really nice too, but you have Hawaii to compare it to, so you would know which beach is better, right! Thanks for sharing your trip with us -- I LOVE the sun and the sand castle!! The cats at the zoo are beautiful!!

Gayla said...

Oh, I'm so envious. Sounds like a wonderfully relaxing little interlude. Love your pictures.

Verse of the Day