After the service, we ladies served a meal. Since it is Easter weekend, we have a drama tomorrow, which means sets needed to be put up. That was not started until after last night's service. While we ladies were serving and cleaning up downstairs in the kitchen, the men were setting up upstairs! Les was involved making sure the sound and instruments were all in working order, so it was well past midnight when we made our way home.
My plans yesterday were to get up at my normal time this morning (5:30ish) and go running. After getting home so late, I wasn't sure what I would do this morning, but I was awake at 5:00 and went ahead and got up. (And ended up running 17 miles.)
I spent a lot of the time while I was out reflecting. I was reflecting on the service last night. And that made me think about heaven. Which made me think about a story from my childhood. It's been nearly 40 years since this happened, so I may not have all the details correct, but this is what I remember:
Bro. Layne was still our pastor at the time. One night after service he was talking to one of the saints in the church, Bro. Thornton. They were standing outside, talking about heaven and made the commitment to "meet in the front of the throne." From that story came the song "In Front of the Throne", written by Bro. Thornton's daughter, Sis. Bobbie Shoemake. I couldn't find the lyrics online but I believe the chorus goes like this:I couldn't stop the tears, as I continued running. Thinking about meeting in front of the throne. What a promise! And then I thought about the cross. It's because of Calvary that a Gentile girl like me has the hope of being in front of the throne. I wasn't born into the nation of Israel. But God so loved the world (even Gentiles) that through the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, I can be part of His family! What a privilege. I never want to take the cross for granted, ever. I'm more thankful this Easter than I've ever been.
When we step inside the shiny gates of splendor
Where toiling ends and tears are ever gone
Among that crowd for you I'll be watching
So look for me in front of the throne.
I want to say a personal note to the young people of Victory Tabernacle,
I know for most of you this is the first time you've experienced the loss of someone so close to you, especially so unexpectedly. But I pray that you will take this experience and draw closer to God than you've ever been. Let God's peace fill your heart. Yes, you will miss Bro. John, but make up in your minds and hearts that you will make it to heaven. He'll be that tall guy in the crowd, with a huge smile, looking for you! And know this, that each time I pray with you, it is always with the goal of heaven in mind. I love each of you and am praying for you. If I can help you in any way, I'm always here for you.To everyone else, have a blessed Resurrection Day!! And remember:
Because He lives, I can face tomorrow
Because He lives, all fear is gone
Because I know, He holds the future
Life is worth the living just because He lives.
6 comments:
And Bro Layne was so committed the night he spoke about presenting Fresno's saints to the Lord. He wanted us to meet in front of the throne. I am looking forward to it someday. Have a wonderful blessed Easter. Love you guys.
We've been so blessed with "pastors after God's heart." It will be a great celebration when we get up there.
Love you!
Thank you so much Peep...It's so hard to put into words, but with what happened to John, I have been drawing closer to God, as I am leaning on Him. I can't wait to see him(John) at the throne. ;) I am so grateful to have you in my life to help me and be there for me. :) You are so sweet. I am also truly blessed to have a Pastor, as you said, "after God's heart". Love you peep!
Love always,
Chlo
I'm so proud of all of you for continuing with the drama in the midst of your great loss. God used you all so much yesterday. I told my husband this morning that our youth group grew up a lot in the past week... you will all be stronger. And when you stand united, look out! God has great things in store.
I love you, ChloPeep!
Thanks Sis. McElhaney. You are right, I feel like we all grew up and grew closer to one another in the past week. Like that song we once sang in the youth choir, "I need you, you need me, we're all a part of God's body." Thank you for being a great example.
Love you!
Viv
Viv,
I'm glad to see you all growing closer to each other and to God during this time. There's nothing more important than making it to heaven. We're gonna make it together!
Love you!
Post a Comment