My Bible reading today came from Proverbs chapter 1, Matthew chapter 10, and Genesis chapter 25. These passages all talk about fear. The devotional was about unhealthy fear. The Greek word commonly used in the New Testament is phobos - from which we get the word phobia. This is unhealthy fear. They called it False Evidence Appearing Real. Unhealthy fears can paralyze us in life.
I wrote in December 2012 about the curse that came upon mankind as a result of sin. In Genesis 3:16 the first use of the word
"sorrow" is not the same as the second usage. The second word "sorrow"
in the Hebrew is as we would expect - "pain," but the first "sorrow" is
actually "worrisomeness." The curse was twofold - both physical and mental. I believe as long as we are in this life, we will have to fight this battle of the mind.
In Matthew chapter 6, Jesus says repeatedly "take no thought." Matthew Henry's commentary says this, "It is the repeated command of the Lord Jesus to his disciples, that they
should not divide and pull in pieces their own minds with care about
the world. The thought here forbidden is, 1. A disquieting, tormenting thought,
which hurries the mind hither and thither, and hangs it in suspense;
which disturbs our joy in God, and is a damp upon our hope in him; which
breaks the sleep, and hinders our enjoyment of ourselves, of our
friends, and of what God has given us. 2. A distrustful, unbelieving thought. God has promised to provide for those that are his all things needful for life."
Isaiah chapter 43:1-7 says:
But now thus saith the Lord
that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear
not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art
mine.
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.
Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life.
Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west;
I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;
Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.
We will all battle fear, but that is the key - battle! Don't let fear win. We have a Redeemer Who is with us. We are precious in His sight and are greatly loved by Him. Fear Not!
No comments:
Post a Comment