Thursday, January 11, 2018

1965: Talking, Walking and My First Hero


My baby book was filled with tidbits from 1965:

Kathy is showing her personality - 11 months.  When she is having a fit she doesn't lay down and scream like most children, she sits down, kicks and screams "mad, mad, mad."  I heard about this my entire childhood and sometimes wondered if it was just a family myth.  When I found my baby book, this particular trait was recorded not once but twice in my baby book!  Does this little angel look capable of such an act?


Kathy took her first step on her ten month birthday.  She had been standing alone for about two weeks.  Now, at eleven months she walks fairly well.  We've stopped counting steps.  Rodney coaxes her, she is practically his shadow.  These two are really close, in every way.



Her walking worries us now - 14 months - she is quite bow legged. 

18 months - pigeon-toed quite badly.  Each foot is in a plaster cast.  The casts were only on for 2 1/2 weeks.  Didn't help at all.  Now she has a Denis-Brown splint which turn her feet out 60 degrees.  This is worn at night.

I don't remember the casts or splints for my legs, but we have an old home movie (reel to reel) of me in the splints.  The scene is pretty funny - Kim was "helping" me walk, then decided to let go.  I fell backwards and was left on the floor like a turtle on its back, unable to get up.  Siblings - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!


It's kind of amazing that in the middle of the page about my walking, Mom recorded my relationship with Rod.  She could not have known at that time just how close the two of us would grow up to be.  I've written dozens of posts about Rod, but my first post dedicated to him is still a favorite.  He wasn't perfect but he was my first hero, the one I wanted to follow everywhere.  I've got one more place to follow him - heaven!  He won that race in 1994 and I'm still chasing him.  I like to think that somewhere he is among the great cloud of witnesses cheering me on as I continue to run the race (Hebrews 12:1.)

I'm thankful that in 1965 I recognized a hero when I saw him.

No comments:

Verse of the Day