Thursday, January 8, 2015

Tidbits from Genesis

I had this post ready to go yesterday afternoon.  Then we had church last night!  

We are in revival with Evangelist Jason Hood.  His text last night was Genesis 3:1-6 (I love when God directs the preacher to what I've been reading!)  The title of his message was "First the Wedge, Then the Split."  Bro. Hood talked about how his dad would cut firewood.  He would place a wedge on a piece of wood, then hit the wedge with his ax and the wood would split in pieces.


The devil knows how to put a wedge in our life.  Once he puts a wedge in, he's coming to split us apart. In Eve's case the wedge was the fruit.  It caught her attention.  She started looking at it.  Then the serpent came in for the split - he caused her to question God's word.

There are many things that can cause a wedge:
  • Prayerlessness
  • Pride
  • Bitterness
  • Jealousy
  • Problems with the man of God
  • A fault finding spirit
  • Loneliness
  • Unbelief
  • Idolatry
  • Lust
We cannot be ignorant of Satan's devices (2 Corinthians 2:11.)  It is our job to recognize and shake off the wedge.

Pastor White closed the service talking about gossip and fault finding. "The edge of the wedge is often the tip of the tongue."

Back to my original post now...

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm enjoying "The Genesis Record" by Dr. Henry M. Morris. These notes are from chapter 5 "The Fall of Man" and chapter 6 "The Lost World," covering Genesis 3-5.  I'll have plenty to say about Eve and the Fall tomorrow.

Choosing Sin
No descendant of Adam (that's US) has ever lived to an age of conscious awareness of right and wrong without actually choosing wrong.  We have become deliberate sinners because we inherited a sinful nature.

The Shame of Nudity
Adam and Eve were conscious of being naked in God's presence.  The shame of nudity is not an artificial inhibition introduced by civilization.  It has its source in this awareness of sin.

The First Ten Patriarchs
I found this chart to be so interesting.  Adam was still alive when Lamech, Noah's father, was born.  In just ten generations "the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." (Genesis 6:5)

Patriarch
Year of Birth

Year of Death
Adam
1

930
Seth
130

1042
Enos
235

1140
Cainan
325

1235
Mahalaleel
395

1290
Zared
460

1422
Enoch
622

987*
Methuselah
687

1656**
Lamech
874

1651
Noah
1056

2006

*Enoch did not die, but was translated.
** Methuselah died the year that the Flood came.

No comments:

Verse of the Day