Thursday, October 23, 2014

Health Check

I had my annual physical last week and was very pleased with the results.  I am Vitamin D deficient, but other than that I'm good for another year.  I had my first ever bone density scan (now that I'm 50) and my bones are A+!  I attribute this to a good, but not perfect, eating plan and consistent exercise.


My Bible reading this week included 1 Timothy 4:8, "For bodily exercise profiteth little, but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and that which is to come.” 

This verse has been used by many to justify a sedentary lifestyle.  When the Apostle Paul wrote that verse, there was no such thing as a sedentary lifestyle!  They walked everywhere.  "In the 2008 United States American National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) 36% of adults were considered inactive. 59% of adult respondents never participated in vigorous physical activity lasting more than 10 minutes per week." (Wikipedia)  That was not the case just 150 years ago.  Active lifestyle meant getting up before dawn to feed the animals, spending the day in the field or doing laundry by hand.  The entire family was included.  Modern conveniences were still in the future.

While trying to get more commentary on this verse, I found a fascinating site called Spirit Filled Fitness.  The article "Bodily Exercise Profits Little?" is so well written. It answers every question regarding this verse.  I can't do it justice here, do yourself a favor and read the whole thing (here clink THIS LINK.)  Here is just part of the recap:
  1. The Apostle Paul was warning the young Apostle Timothy of a heretical movement of philosophy known as Asceticism of the Roman-Greco culture that used severe austerity in subordinating the body to the control of the moral attributes of the mind.  This was the bodily exercise Paul was referring to and not the athletic boldly exercise of the Hellenistic culture (i.e. Olympic games, athletics, etc…).
  2. A deep and honest pondering of our heart and conscience in this hour can reveal to many of us that we have used this misquotation of “bodily exercise profits little” in excusing ourselves from really pressing in and dealing with the our lack of fitness and body fat mass index.  We have limited ourselves to not press pass our comfort zones because we might be displeasing God if we worked out too much during the week.  …Or we would be judged by fellow believers as spending too much time focusing on exercise when we had more important “eternal” issues at hand.
  3. This liberating truth can now set all of us free that bodily exercise whether it be manual labor or fitness orientated workouts is not only approved in the Scriptures, but is a highly employed theme for believers to engage in.  Not only are the health benefits optimized when our temples are properly taken care of, but also we learn many character issues about endurance, perseverance, and control that can be applied to encourage us in the mastery of our lower nature by the Holy Spirit and thus not become castaways in our faith (see I Cor. 9:24-27).
We must take care of our bodies.  Does that mean you need to sign up for a marathon?  No.  But taking care of ourselves means we will live longer and can do more for the kingdom of God.  Our bodies are not gods, but they are the temple of the Holy Ghost.  Christ dwells in us and we need to give Him a strong place to dwell.

I know that I feel better when I exercise.  My mind is clearer, my blood pressure is lower, I sleep better and I want to eat better.  You don't need to do a lot to make a big difference.  Start small and know there will be great rewards to reap.  Your bones and heart will thank you!

No comments:

Verse of the Day