Last Saturday night a group of us met at Ichiriki Japanese Nabe Restaurant to celebrate Pastor McGriffin's 60th birthday. It was a surprise and he was definitely surprised!
The surprise for the rest of us was how we were seated. First we took off our shoes, then stepped into a room with low tables. Thankfully we did not have to sit on the floor, it just looked that way!
Nabe, or Japanese Hot Pot, is very simple. Fresh vegetables + seafood + meat + a flavorful broth = Super Yum! Les and I ordered the single Paitan Nabe which started with pork broth. The Kami Nabe is advertised as "serves two" but the single was more than enough for the two of us. I'm not sure of everything that went into our pot, but I know we had pork, shrimp, tofu, meatballs, cabbage, mushrooms, and kale.
Did I mention we cooked it ourselves? The pot is on the table, over an open flame.
The meatballs (made by scooping out small portions from the stick in the back) go in first, then the veggies and tofu, last is the thinly sliced meat and seafood. We let it cook for about 10 minutes and dug in.
Served over rice, this was a delicious meal! We kept spooning out more and more. We enjoyed every bite and the fellowship was outstanding!

No comments:
Post a Comment