Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things and Some Things I'm Learning


Aloha!  I can't believe this is our third week in Hawaii!  The time seems to be going by so fast, but at other times it seems like we are moving in slow motion.  Les is really enjoying his job.  He's busy and likes the people he is working with.  I'm finding various ways to stay busy during the days.  I walk somewhere everyday and enjoy talking to the many shop owners and workers.


Made in Hawaii
One day last week I visited the International Marketplace.  There are an abundance of Aloha shirts and Hawaiian dresses, skirts and tops, along with souvenirs of every kind.  I have not bought a thing! Confession: I wrote and scheduled this post on Saturday. A shopping bug bit me yesterday and I bought several things!!



When I walked in one store, the man asked if I knew how to tell if something was made in Hawaii.  I did not.  It's very simple.  The tag must say, "made in Hawaii."  You would think that would be pretty simple, but there are many garments that say "designed in Hawaii" or just "Hawaii."  These are made in other countries.  It was very important to this man.  He is a native Hawaiian and spoke kindly, but passionately, about keeping Hawaiian dollars in Hawaii.


ABC Stores
If you've ever been to Hawaii, you've been in an ABC store.  They seem to be on every block.  We've bought a lot of milk and cereal from them!


People Watching
It's a fun and free form of entertainment around here!  The streets are very crowded at all hours.  I've been amazed that I have not had a collision with someone!  It seems like they are walking along, not aware of their surroundings, but they somehow manage to stay upright.  I am also sure that I am a photo bomber about 25 times a day!  People will just stop to take a picture, and I will continue merrily on my way!


Hawaiian Music
There's no better way to relax in the evening, than sitting on our patio and listening to the waves crash and the soft strains of Hawaiian music in the background.  There is a restaurant in our hotel that has live music every night.  It's so soothing and I'm ready to fall asleep by the time they finish at 9:00!!


Humidity and Running
I have been running while here on the island, but it takes a lot more work!  The humidity is usually about 80% with temps being in the 70s.  I come back to the hotel completely soaked after 4 miles!  I started taking Hammer Endurolytes and that has really helped.


Sunsets
Sunsets are spectacular around here and people love them.  Crowds gather just as the sun is making its way down.  I love it when everyone applauds.  They might not know it, but they are giving a hand to the Creator!

3 comments:

nancyayala said...

Hello Sis. the pictures are beautiful. that Sunset Wow. so glad ur Dad is doing so much better. See u when u get back. :0)

Kathy McElhaney said...

We will be there on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

jennifer lord said...

Aww I love that you're enjoying your awesome adventure!

Verse of the Day