Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Attention All Ladies!

To any male readers: go ahead and read this, I promise there is nothing here to embarrass you! Go ahead and forward this to the ladies in your life, too.

I received a flyer this week from our local hospital promoting National Women's Health Week. It talked about how airplane safety demonstrations instruct that in the event of an emergency, passengers should put on their own oxygen masks before helping someone else. Health advocates are encouraging women to care of their families by making their own health a priority.

May 8-14, 2011 is:


I have had conversations with friends who do not know what tests they need and when. This interactive chart will help you. You can also click on Print a Screening Chart and take it with you the next time you go to the doctor.


It is not selfish to take care of your health! Your children will not suffer if you spend 30 minutes walking each day. Take them with you! Teach them to eat right by doing it yourself.

Look, I'll be 50 in just a little over 3 years. That is how old Mom was when she was diagnosed with cancer. I know she didn't get all the checkups she should have. I do NOT love going to the doctor, but annual visits are much better than weekly checkups. Yes, this is my soapbox and I will step on it from time to time...


So are you going to take care of your health or not??

4 comments:

Caroline (Jane) said...

Kathy,
I'm so with you on this! I wasn't too concerned about all of those tests until my dad died of colon cancer and my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. Now, no matter how bad or embarrassing the test might be, I don't care...SIGN ME UP!
I figure, what's a few moments of discomfort of having tests done compared to the suffering one might have to go through with some horrific disease?

We are no good to anybody else if we don't take care of ourselves.
Right on!

Girly Muse said...

Thanks for the great advice! Women seem to be good at taking care of everyone else and not always themselves.

Carol Connell said...

Uh, gulp. I feel the conviction. I am trying to exercise more by walking and working on our yards, but those check ups. Ugh! I'll have to pray through over that one.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Come on, Sis. Connell! You can do it!! I dread check ups, too - I'm always SO glad when they are behind me. Take it from someone who lost her mom at a young age - your family wants you to be healthy.

Verse of the Day