Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Studies in Galatians

I've been doing a really interesting Bible reading plan this year that I downloaded on my iPhone. It's called Thematic and has really jumped around the Bible. There are days that the chapters seem to have nothing in common, but as I continue in whatever books I'm reading, two chapters will pop up that go together so well.

The past few days I've been reading Jeremiah and Galatians. Rereading Galatians has brought back memories of my one year as a Junior Bible Quiz Coach. We studied Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians that year and believe me that was tough stuff for Junior Quizzers!

One Sunday afternoon I was trying to explain Galatians chapter two to five girls, ages 8-11...

Quizzer: What is circumcision?
Me: Um... (thinking, Oh dear!)... I'll let your mother explain that...

Quizzer: What does verse 11 mean? ("But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.")
Me: Paul and Peter had a disagreement and Paul stood up to him.
Quizzer: What did they disagree about?
Me: Because Paul was preaching to the Gentiles. Most Jews didn't like that. (This was quite an "aha moment" to think that the great apostles didn't always agree.)

Quizzer: Who was a Gentile?
Me: Titus, for one.
Quizzer: How do you know?
Me: Verse 3 says, "But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:" (I got five blank looks on that one.) You know, Titus was from Greece...
Quizzer: Huh?
Me: Well what do you think that verse means?
Quizzer: That Titus was a goofy guy.... you know, a nerd... (Agreement around the table was unanimous!)

Poor Titus will always be remember as an uncircumcised Geek!!

1 comment:

Girly Muse said...

hahahaha, thanks for the good laugh this morning! ;)

Verse of the Day