Friday, March 26, 2010

In Memory of a Gentleman and His Lady

A long buried memory resurfaced this week as I read of the passing of Bro. J.T. Pugh and his wife, Sis. Bessie Pugh. Bro. Pugh passed away on Tuesday and his wife of 65 years followed on Wednesday.

Bro. Pugh was a great man of God, but I also remember him as one with a gentle spirit. One year the District Conference was held at Truth Tabernacle. Bro. Pugh had been asked to speak. I was working in the office that afternoon when a taxi arrived. Bro. Pugh got out - no one remembered to pick him up at the airport! I don't know how long he waited before realizing that he needed to find his own transportation, but he was not the least perturbed and came in smiling.

I remember hearing on tape a message Bro. Pugh preached when I was still single. He said when he would counsel a couple before marriage he would tell them, "Never forget your wedding day. In the midst of the flowers and dresses and pictures and cake and all the other details, don't forget the love that brought you together. That is the reason for your wedding day." That same message he talked about his beloved wife being sick and how helpless he felt. He said, "all I could do is sit there with my teeth in my mouth." It was such a funny little comment, but was said with such emotion that even on tape I could tell how much he loved her.

My thoughts and prayers are with their family and many friends. I'm glad to know they fought a good fight, finished their course, and kept the faith and it makes me want to do the same!

1 comment:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Our loss, Heaven's gain. Not only two warriors going home but leaving together is amazing.

Verse of the Day