Monday, November 17, 2008

Back to Normal?

I feel like my life is starting to settle back down. We attended two awesome church services yesterday that could both take up a full post. I got up today at 5:25, ran 10 miles, came home, sent Les off to work (not sure he'll make it all day, but he's giving it a go), and now I'm working on a grocery list. That trip will be followed by some housework.

I also talked to Dad this morning (our normal Monday morning chat) - he had a follow-up with the surgeon in San Francisco last week. She said he is progressing normally, not to get in a rush, just let his back continue to heal.

Normal. What a nice little word. I thought I'd look it up on Webster's:
Main Entry: 1nor·mal
Pronunciation:\ˈnȯr-məl\
Function: adjective
Etymology:Latin normalis, from norma
Date: circa 1696
according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle; conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern
; of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence or development; free from mental disorder

Yes, I've spent the last couple of weeks deviating from my norm, but I'm so glad to know "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today, and forever." He never changes, no matter what I'm doing, He's the same.

I had to chuckle when I read the etymology of normal - "from norma." A certain teenager from long ago use to call Mom (Norma) "Normal"!

3 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

The best way I can define it: What an "abnormal" word, the word "normal".

Kimberly said...

Kathy, Is that the same teenager that used to sing "amazing glass that popped the tire" and "he looked beyond my socks and saw my knees". Oh the memories...thank you that brought a smile to my face.

I'm glad things are back to normal. Although someone once said that "normal is just a setting on the dryer!"

I'm glad Les felt well enough to go in to work.

Love ya,

Kim

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Hopper,
I've never been accused of being normal!

Hey Kim,
I'm pretty sure we're thinking of the same person!

I think our "normal" is about as good as can be expected with the year we've had. Warm towels, with a little lint...

Love you too!

Verse of the Day