Friday, July 25, 2008

When Mom Became Grandma



I don't want anyone to think that Mom's life was one of constant pain and sorrow. You know, she did have ME, so there had to be some joy! Her family brought great joy to her life and three little ones that all arrived in 1987 tripled her joy.

I'll never forget Mom's excitement about finally becoming Grandma. Diana, my oldest brother Rick's wife, was expecting when my sister Kim became pregnant. Kim had suffered numerous miscarriages, but this time she took every precaution and her pregnancy progressed as normally as possible for a woman carrying twins.

From Grandmother's Memories:
"When I first became a grandmother, I felt like a Queen. I couldn't stop grinning; I got 3 grandbabies in 10 weeks! Ryan, Krysten & Lauren."

Ryan was born on January 11th (his daddy's birthday) and Krysten and Lauren showed up 7 weeks before their due date on March 20th.

We ALL had a great time falling in love with these new members of our family, but nobody enjoyed it more than Mom. I was still living at home and I remember many times Mom going to the store for various household supplies (toilet paper!) or groceries and she'd come back with some toy, book, or clothing item for one of the grandkids! We often had to send her back for what she didn't buy.

It was a wonderful time and I wouldn't trade these memories.

7 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Oh how Norma loved her family. No words could be any truer. I love her expression in this picture.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Her heart was a full as her hands!

Chrissy said...

Hi Sissy McElhaney! These pictures of your mom with her grandchildren are so precious, and what precious memories for you. Adrianne said it so perfectly: you are what you are today because of your mom's example, what she passed on down to you -- she was truly a "mother of Israel." Love ya sissy, and now I look forward to reading your blog every morning! Love ya mucho, Sissy Chrissy!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Well I now I have three faithful readers! I guess I better keep writing. LOL

Miss T said...

I have to say her expression on the first picture is pure joy and happiness. I know there's no comparison, but my mother Chris has the same joy and happiness with her grandpuppy Tank! ;0) There's no love like a grandmother for her grandchildren.

Gayla said...

Hi Kathy...I'll be number 4, ok? LOL I love the first picture of your Mom!! You can see the sheer bliss all over her face. Oh, I loved her so....

Kathy McElhaney said...

Gayla, thanks to you, my readership quadrupled this week!
It was (and still is) a comfort knowing you were at Saint Agnes.

Verse of the Day