Thursday, July 31, 2008

Blond Moment

Most of you know that I have blond hair. Gray is slowing taking over, but for the most part, it's still blond. I don't usually have "blond moments." I leave that to some of my friends who shall remain nameless... But when I do have a "blond moment" it tends to be a doozy. Last night was one of those!

Bro. Victor Gonzales, the pastor of our daughter work in Boyle Heights, was teaching/preaching last night. Bro. Oscar Moran was translating from Spanish to English. As often happens, they were speaking over each other. When Bro. Gonzales gave his text, I heard Timothy chapter 1, verses 1-6.


Verse 1
What I read:
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;
What I heard:
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

"Hmmm... Bro. Moran must be reading from a different translation tonight."

Verse 2
What I read:
Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
What I heard:
To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

Verse 3
What I read:
As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
What I heard:
I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day;

"Huh?" "Les, where is he?" Les: "Verse four"

What I read:
Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
What I heard:
Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy;

"What in the world!?" I finally looked at Les' Bible. His was open to SECOND Timothy, while mine was open to FIRST Timothy!!

"Oh, I was in First Timothy."
Les: "You're so blond."

You know, he was right!! And while this post is neither uplifting, encouraging, or challenging - hopefully it gave you a chuckle!

2 comments:

Miss T said...

oh, sis. Mcelhaney, don't worry, I've most definitely been there...not to mention my MOTHER! she's the most blonde! lol

Kathy McElhaney said...

Well, I wasn't going to name names!!

Verse of the Day