Monday, January 4, 2021

Stroke of Midnight

Where were you last night when 2013 turned into 2014? Is that where you’d wanted to be?
 
I could not pass up this post.  Not because we did something exciting on New Year's Eve, but because it reminded me of where we were when the calendar turned to 2014!  We were finishing our first year on Oahu.  Our lease would be up on February 7, 2014, so we decided to stay through the holidays. I did a photo a day challenge that December and my final photo was of my running watch after a three mile run.

I remember that New Year's Eve.  We were living in Discovery Bay.  I'm pretty sure we did not stay up until midnight because the next day I wrote about getting up for an early morning run.  I was, however, exactly where I wanted to be because Les and I were together.

On January 1, 2014 I wrote a post called "Great Peace."  You can read the entire post here, but I just wanted to share a little today:

"Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them."  Psalm 119:65
 
How can we have great peace when we are being bombarded?  One commentator put it remarkably well:
Great peace have they -  They have great calmness of mind. They are not troubled and anxious. They believe and feel that all things are well-ordered by thee, and will be conducted to the best result. They, therefore, calmly leave all with thee. As a matter of fact, the friends of God have peace and calmness in their minds, even amidst the troubles, the disappointments, and the reverses of life. The love of God is the best - the only - way to secure permanent peace in the soul.
Which love thy law - It is the love of law, and the belief that the law of God is in accordance with justice, that gives peace to their minds. God’s government is a government of law, and therefore it is loved.
And nothing shall offend them - “They shall have no stumbling-block.” Hebrew, “And to them no stumbling,” or stumbling-block. The meaning here is, that they would not fall into sin; they would be kept safe; they would be preserved from the power of temptation. The meaning is not, as it would seem to be in our version, that nothing would pain, grieve, or irritate them; but, as above, that as long as they were obedient to the law, and disposed to obey it, they would be safe from the power of temptation.
Seven years later, I still believe that great peace is possible!

No comments:

Verse of the Day