Friday, January 8, 2021

Kick It

What’s the 11th item on your bucket list?
 

Do you have a bucket list?  I don't!  According to MacMillan Dictionary:  "a bucket list is a list of the things you want to do before you reach a certain age, or before you die.  The term bucket list is a relatively new one, popularized by a movie of the same name starring American actors Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman released in the early 21st century. Bucket list comes from the phrase ‘to kick the bucket’ which is a figure of speech meaning ‘to die’."
 
MacMillan continues, "People often create a bucket list as they near retirement age, striving to make time to do some of the things they may have put off in their younger years due to work or family commitments. While it’s become common practice for pensioners to pursue their bucket list dreams, a growing number of them are ending up in the hospital with serious injuries brought on by these activities."
 

So maybe it's not a bad idea that I don't have a bucket list!  That's not to say that there aren't things I want to do or places I want to go.  We will celebrate our 30th anniversary in May.  About 18 months ago Les asked me where I wanted to go to celebrate.  We were in Europe for both our 20th and 25th anniversaries.  I didn't hesitate with my response:  
 
Africa!  
 

IF I was writing a bucket list today, Africa would definitely be on it.  More specifically, I want to go on an African Safari.  I was to see the Big 5 -  lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants and African buffalo.  I also want to see giraffes, cheetahs, zebras, gorillas and chimpanzees.  These are the animals that fascinate me the most.  I know we wouldn't see all of them because Africa is so diverse and vast, but just the idea is so cool to me.


Of course, COVID has put any big travel plans on hold.  We hope to go somewhere for our anniversary, but I'm pretty sure it won't be an international trip.  I'm not giving up on Africa, though.  Maybe it'll be our 31st anniversary or one of our 60th birthdays (which are getting closer and closer!)

Do you have a bucket list?  Would you like to go on a safari?

2 comments:

Mary Frances said...

I always say I have a life list, buuuuut to be honest, I don't really have a list!!!! One thing I REALLY want to do is hike DOWN the grand canyon, do some really cool stuff down there, THEN TAKE a helicopter back up!! LOL I wanna hike camelback mountain and travel ALL OVER!!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

We hiked down the Grand Canyon about 25 years ago. It was me, Les, his parents, his brother and sister-in-law. We hiked down on Christmas Eve, spent the night at Phantom Ranch and hiked back out on Christmas day. I think hiking down is just as hard as hiking up, you're constantly using your knees and quads to break.

Travel is always on my list. So many places, so little time (and money!!)

Verse of the Day