Thursday, May 3, 2018

HE>i


I started seeing the above logo on Oahu several years ago.  It seemed to be everywhere - hats, t-shirts, bumper stickers and bags.  I admit that it took me a while to figure it out.  In case you aren't sure, "HE>i (HE is greater than i) is a lifestyle company / clothing brand that is based off of the Bible verse John 3:30 - “HE (Jesus) must increase, but I must decrease.”" (from https://hegreaterthani.com/)

My Bible reading this morning included that verse from John chapter 3.  It is words of John the Baptist to his followers.  His followers were concerned that people had started following Jesus instead of John.  John never had that concern.  It was quite the opposite, "this my joy therefore is fulfilled."

Along with today's reading in John were the final chapters of the book of Joshua.  Joshua's final words were a reminder of where God had brought the children of Israel from, the great victories He had brought, and a challenge "Now therefore fear the Lord, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the Lord. And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Our decision to serve the Lord really comes down to believing He>i.  I'm glad to have Someone greater than me.  I wouldn't want to live without knowing God is involved in my life.  It's humbling and amazing.  Psalm 8:3-4 says, "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?"  Jesus said, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."  The God of the universe stooped down, wrapped Himself in human flesh so that we might have life.  Not just life, but an abundant life.

Verse 1:
O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed

Chorus:
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee
How great Thou art, How great Thou art
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

Verse 2:

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing
He bled and died to take away my sin.


Verse 3:
When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration
And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"

No comments:

Verse of the Day