Gideon and his army, drinking water...
Gideon's army and their trumpets...
These images were imprinted on my mind when I was a child. My Sunday school teachers showed them to me. We had coloring pages with similar images.
Some might think teaching these stories to children is a waste of time. Children don't understand what God is doing. I beg to differ! No, children don't understand everything that is going on, but they do get introduced to a God Who can do anything! He parts the Red Sea. He heals lepers. He leaves the ground dry and the fleece wet, then leaves the ground wet and the fleece dry.
Why does this matter to children? Because someday those children are going to grow up. They're going to need healing or deliverance and they will be able to pull from memory stories of a God Who did just that.
I am so thankful for the many Sunday school teachers I have had in my life. My Mom was in the nursery when I was a baby, Sis. Taylor taught me when I three. Sis. Irene Wilkinson, Sis. Ruth Garrett, Sis. Jeanne Talsness, Sis. Kay Brimhall. These ladies poured stories into me as a child.
Because of Sunday school, youth leaders and ministers have taught and preached messages that made sense to me. Preachers often say, "We all know the story..." Sadly for many that is not the case. Many weren't as privileged as I was. I do know the stories and now I am able to apply the lessons to my own life.
Sunday school teachers of the world - Thank You! Your tireless commitment IS worth it! You may not see it in the eyes of a four year old, but this fifty four year old is eternally grateful.
We sang this song many times and I remember shouting "the girls!" as loud as I could! It's still true, everybody ought to go to Sunday school!





No comments:
Post a Comment