I posted the writing prompts for this week but won't be using any of them. October is Clergy Appreciation month and I want to spend this week giving honor where honor is due. I have had four pastors in my lifetime - Pastor Murray Layne, Pastor Vaughn Morton, Pastor Philip White, and Pastor Richard McGriffin. They have each impacted my life in tremendous ways.
I often hear people say, "My pastor is the greatest!" I don't use that phrase because I have had more than one pastor. I don't rank them, choosing one as greater than another. Just like a parent shouldn't play favorites, I don't have a favorite pastor. They ALL mean a great deal to me. They have been with me through different parts of my life.
We have been in a unique situation for almost five years now. We spend a lot of our time in Hawaii because of Les' job. Last year we were on the island for six weeks straight, two different times. We need a pastor in our lives where we are, so when we are in Hawaii we put ourselves under the authority of Pastor McGriffin. We trusted Pastor White to guide us in choosing a church on Oahu and we trust Pastor McGriffin to take care of us spiritually while we are there. We feel very blessed to have both these men in our life.
Jeremiah 3:15 says, "And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding." I am thankful for the pastors that God has given me. Les and I are now in our 50s, both Pastor White and Pastor McGriffin are in their 60s. I realize that my next pastor will most likely be younger than me. When that day comes, I will trust God to give me the right man for the job, and I will respect that man no matter his age.
The best way to show appreciation to your pastor? Be the Best Saint Your Pastor Has Ever Pastored! Make his job easy!
How do we make our pastors' jobs easier? Stand with him. Pray for him.
Support him financially. Grow in God. Have a personal prayer life.
Read the Word. Be on time for church. Be on time for pre-service
prayer and pray when you get there. Fight the fiery darts of the
wicked. Fight the flames of gossip, rebellion, disobedience, and
discontent. When you go to him for counsel - do what he says. Give
your pastor time to rest. Time to study. Time to spend with new babes.
The list could go on and on, but you get the idea! Be the Best Saint Your Pastor Has Ever Pastored! And not just in October!
1 comment:
Amen!!
Post a Comment