Monday, October 9, 2017

Pastor Appreciation ~ Pastor Murray Layne


Bro. Layne was Mom's pastor at the time of my birth.  It was Bro. Layne who grounded Mom in the truth. I naturally don't remember any of those details, but I do remember being a child and being very aware of Bro. Layne as the man of God in our church. It was during his 19 years of dedication and service that many decisions were made that put Truth Tabernacle on a sure path. Truth was preached, property was purchased, buildings were built, a bus ministry was started, and a great revival of "hippies" took place under his leadership.

I remember services in what is now the school cafeteria at Truth Tabernacle. We had hard benches and no carpet on the floor, but God moved in mighty ways. Bro. Layne baptized me in the old baptistry in the back of that building on January 11, 1971. I can picture that night as if it happened yesterday. What a privilege to be baptized in the lovely name of Jesus by my pastor!

I also remember building the "big church", which is now the prayer room/school chapel. I can still see that day when we broke ground out on the corner of First and Holland. What an exciting time of anticipation!

I'll also never forget when Bro. Layne announced to the church that God was calling him to another city. I was only eight years old at the time and didn't fully understand the implications, but I remember Mom saying, "How will I ever love another pastor like I love Bro. Layne and his family?" Thankfully God had just the right person in mind to pastor Truth Tabernacle, but the Layne family has always held a special place in my heart.

I remember seeing Bro. and Sis. Layne through the years, and as I got older they just grew dearer and dearer to me. They have both gone on to be with the Lord now, but I look forward to the day when we meet again in front of the throne.

No comments:

Verse of the Day