No, this post isn't about Christmas - it's about our Thanksgiving week! Les and I made the trek to Panama City, Florida for the annual DOE Thanksgiving Reunion. DOE is what we call ourselves - Descendants of Earl. Earl and Marie McElhaney were Les' grandparents and their offspring, four generations worth, get together every year at Thanksgiving. Les and I share the holiday with my family, so we usually go every other year. I blogged about the gathering that took place in Gatlinburg in
2008 and those that took place in Florida in
2011 and in
2013.
 |
| The original DOE - Bobbie, Mary, Betty, Bill and Jim |
Aunt Bobbie was the oldest in attendance - she is now 92 and still going strong. Aunt Betty's great grandson was the youngest at one. A total of 59 people were there this year - some weren't able to be there on Wednesday, others spent Thursday with in-laws, and Les and I were the first to fly home on Friday, but it was the largest Thanksgiving gathering I've ever been to.
 |
| "Some" of the grandkids and great grandkids - every picture had at least one blur |
A highlight for me was running the Mexico Beach Community Garden Turkey Trot 5k. Les, his 83 year old dad, his brother-in-law, one nephew and two nieces joined in the fun. I ran/walked most of it with 10 year old Leksi (who turned 11 yesterday!)
 |
| Galina, Rick, Reese, Les, Bill, Kathy, Leksi |
 |
| They finished strong! |
As the "sisters" (Les' aunts) have gotten older (92, 90 and 88!) it was decided that we would meet and eat the church in Panama City that Les' cousin, Allen Crabtree, pastors. There was plenty of delicious food!
There was also time at the campground in Wewahitchka. There's always fish to be caught...
Wood to be chopped...
Post turkey trot naps to be taken...
Bikes to be ridden...
and photos to be bombed!
I didn't take nearly as many pictures as usual - there were too many people to get caught up with to worry about taking pictures! This was also the best year weather wise that I've been to - lows in the 40s and highs in the 70s. Picture perfect!
No comments:
Post a Comment