Monday, August 4, 2014

Bathroom Remodel Revealed!

We embarked upon our downstairs bathroom remodel on July 5th.  As with any home project, it blossomed into more than we had planned, but the end result was more than we hoped for!

I didn't take any pictures of the floor before Les started tearing it out.  It was the original hardwood that was put in when the house was built in 1987.  I'm pretty sure the fixtures, wallpaper, and honey oak cabinets were also all original.




Our demolition took a couple of days.  Les pulled out the floor and I took down the wall paper.  Then it was time to pick out tile and paint.  We went with a light mint green.  We have had this particular picture for years, it's been sitting in a closet just waiting to be hung again!


We also bought new light fixtures, towel holder and toilet paper holder.


You can tell when I took a picture with the lights on - much more a yellow glow to the room...


 

Les sent me a text from Lowe's one day that said, "This is tile that looks like wood.  Hmm."  This ended up being a winner!  Then it was time to start figuring out how to lay and cut.  Spaced evenly, special cuts to go around the toilet...

This is not true to color, but you can see how the spacing was done.

We numbered each tile before taking it back up.  Then it was time for leveling and thin set...


I'm very blessed to be married to an engineer!!  He can figure anything out!  Many would have started in the back corner and worked their way out of the room, but Les knew that would leave the entryway looking less than ideal :)  I wore my "gopher" hat that day.  Les finished by working from inside the tub while I was handing him everything he needed.  Anyone want to guess how he got out??

  

Once the tile was set and grout put in, it seemed like the project would never end!  The "only" thing left was getting the toilet back in.  The toilet went in fine, but the tank would not sit right.  As soon as Les turned on the water we had a river!  After many trips back and forth to Do It Center, several minor adjustments, all the seals were replaced and we were finally back in business!  Without paying a plumber!



I'm thrilled with the white cabinets.  They make the room seem so much brighter and cleaner!


The room is very narrow, so here is the best "after" shot I could get!  We are both really happy with how it turned out!


4 comments:

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Awesome results! Don't you just smile when you as much as walk by this fresh space?!!! Great job!

Hugs and happy week,
Kelley~

Kathy McElhaney said...

Yes, that's exactly what we've done! Of course now that room looks better than the rooms leading into it... a never ending project!

jennifer lord said...

Wow, good job!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Thanks! Les gets 90% of the credit on this :)

Verse of the Day