Friday, July 25, 2014

Friday Foodie

Here's another recipe that I got from my sister-in-law, Monica, while we were in Indy last month.   Les has requested it more than once and I finally made it!


Chocolate Eclair Dessert

18-20 Graham Crackers
3 cups milk
2 pkg (3 oz) French vanilla instant pudding
8 oz. cool whip
1 tub chocolate icing

Mix pudding, milk and cool whip together. 
Line bottom of 9" x 13" pan with graham crackers (my pan is slightly sloped so it took exactly 6 for the bottom)
Put 1/2 pudding mixture over crackers and top with another layer of crackers (this took 7 crackers for my pan.)
Put remaining pudding mixture over crackers and top with another layer of crackers (another 7)
Spread chocolate icing over top of cracker layer and refrigerate for several hours.

This is SO good - it's extremely rich but I made Indian food this week so it was a great offset for the spiciness.  I could not find French vanilla pudding and was ready to settle for plain vanilla when I spotted butterscotch.  Butterscotch is a favorite of Les' so I went with that.  When he saw the first piece he said, "This looks darker..."  After one bite he said, "Butterscotch!"  I think it made it even richer, so I'll probably go back to vanilla next time.  You might be tempted to cut right into it, but let it sit for several hours so the graham crackers become soft.  One bonus - this is a great summer dessert since there is no baking involved at all!

No comments:

Verse of the Day