I am so thankful for my godly Mother. I could list all my family members, and I am thankful for them, but today I just want to focus on Mom. Her prayers and faithfulness will always be remembered. I am so thankful for her Bible, filled with wisdom and encouragement.
I posted this a couple of years ago and it's still true today. I wrote about my Mom being "a woman in her 50s" and here I am edging very close to that age myself! Just as Mom wrote many years ago, no matter what comes my way I have a lot to be thankful for anyway.
I posted this a couple of years ago and it's still true today. I wrote about my Mom being "a woman in her 50s" and here I am edging very close to that age myself! Just as Mom wrote many years ago, no matter what comes my way I have a lot to be thankful for anyway.
November 4, 2011
I was in the grocery store on Monday. The "Seasonal" aisle was in transition ~ going from Halloween candy and decorations to Christmas. I know it's this way every year, but I can't help but wonder ~ what happened to Thanksgiving?
Not the greatness of our troubles, but the littleness of our spirit,
makes us complain.
~ Mom's Bible (found written in both the front and back covers)
makes us complain.
~ Mom's Bible (found written in both the front and back covers)
This quote was recorded in the Bible of a woman in her 50s who had been through troubles in her life. Let me give you a glimpse of the young woman she was...
Christmas, 1964. She would turn 25 one week later. She had four children under the age of six. Her third child was diagnosed with a disease she'd never heard of and didn't understand. In my baby book she recorded the following:
Kathy's first Christmas was marred by Rodney being in the hospital. She got lots of gifts...Gives new meaning to "Not the greatness of our troubles, but the littleness of our spirit, makes us complain," doesn't it? Many times in her life, Mom had great troubles, but not a small spirit. Rod spent his second Christmas in the hospital, while I was with a dear family friend, but... We've got a lot to be thankful for anyway.
Kathy spent the day with Irene Wilkinson. We had planned a beautiful Christmas - spending the day at home with the children. Of course, our plans were shattered by Rodney's sudden attack. Kim and Rickey spent Christmas with Grandpa Hogan and Grandma Luella. We spent the day running back and forth between the hospital and home. We've got a lot to be thankful for anyway.
What a beautiful spirit of thanks! I don't want to just be thankful in November, but I want a heart of thanks, no matter the season.
Gratitude is a seasoning for all seasons.
~ Mom's Bible

No comments:
Post a Comment