A couple of years ago I wrote a post called "
Living Up to Her Name." It was about marathoner Joy Johnson who was going to run the New York City Marathon at age 84. She ran it again this past weekend. It was her 25th
NYCM. Sadly, at mile 20 she fell and hit her head. She finished the race, but the next day died in her sleep. Last
Saturday she said, “I always say I’m going to run until I drop, I’m
going to die in my tennis shoes. I just don’t know when I’m going to
quit.”
Last Sunday morning, as Joy was running, Pastor White preached an incredible message. He talked to us about what it takes to remain strong to the end. Just as the human body must work harder as it ages to maintain a certain level of fitness, so must we who are older in the Lord work to maintain our spiritual strength. We can't think that our past experiences are enough to carry us through.
I still remember elderly saints of my childhood saying, "I've been living for the Lord for 30 years and it just gets better and better." They couldn't say that if they were content to rest on past victories. Their spiritual walk was new each day.
Joy's story made me think of Sis. Mary Coursey from Fresno. She was a faithful saint of God. I vividly remember her testifying with such joy and victory. The end of her life came. Still living alone and walking with her dear Jesus. When they found her, she was kneeling at her bedside. I've always thought the Lord said, "Let's finish this conversation face to face." She finished her race with victory - she never quit!
I don't know when my race will be over, but I plan to run to the end!
2 comments:
Thank you for this post! It reminds me of two facts:
-Consistency is the key to success.
-Everyone that finishes wins.
I plan on finishing...:)
Love those two facts! We WILL win!
Post a Comment