The original recipe called for ground beef, but I had to change that to roast beef. Philly Cheese Steak cannot be made out of ground beef! I just used packaged sandwich meat, but leftover roast would be great this way, too, or a whole roast if you have a lot of folks to feed. I reduced the peppers from four to two. One half a stuffed pepper is always enough for us when garnished with side dishes. I also carmelized the onions and added the beef broth. So Hungry Girl's recipe was really just a starter for my own!
Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers

2 large red bell peppers (any color will do, we just prefer red!)
7 oz. Oscar Mayer Carving Board roast beef, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. canola oil
5-6 mushrooms, chopped
1 cup beef broth
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice off and discard about half an inch from the top (stem end) of each bell pepper. Remove and discard seeds. Cut in half, then place peppers in an 8" X 8" baking pan.
Chop meat, onions and mushrooms approximately the same size.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, cook slowly until golden brown and carmelized, approximately 15 minutes. Drain excess grease.
Add mushrooms and 1/2 cup beef broth, cook another 5 minutes. Add beef, cook an additional 3-5 minutes. Most of the broth will have cooked away. Add 1/2 cup cheese, stir until melted. (At this point I knew I had a winner! The filling looked and smelled amazing.)
Evenly distribute beef mixture among the peppers. Pour remaining broth over peppers. Bake uncovered, 20 minutes, until bubbly. Top with remaining cheese, return to oven for another 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
This was SO good! It turned out better than I expected. I had never made carmelized onions before, but they were really easy and added great flavor. We are looking forward to the leftovers already!
I picked up this as our side dish:
It wasn't until I started cooking it that I noticed a recipe on the back...
Told you it was Philly Cheese Steak Week!



No comments:
Post a Comment