One of the most recognizable landmarks on the island of Oahu is Diamond Head. This is a volcanic cone known to Hawaiians as Lēʻahi. Its English name was given by British sailors in the 19th century, who mistook calcite crystals embedded in the rock for diamonds. Wishful thinking on their part!
Since we landed here in January, I have run around the crater dozens of times. I've also run part way into the crater. The views are spectacular!
| Sunrise over Koko Head Crater as seen from Diamond Head |
I've also run at Ala Moana Park many, many times. You can see Diamond Head from there as well.
Recently I started a new running route - up Round Top road. Once again, Diamond Head is in plain view.
I'm sure there are many who only think of beaches when they think of Hawaii, but there is so much more to discover! Diamond Head is one of those gems.
No comments:
Post a Comment