Become a Musician!!
Being a musician will keep you humble. Here's my latest "humbling."
I had to rearrange musicians for Friday night's service. Bro. DeAro was the worship leader, so I had Sis. DeAro play the organ. Pastor White was the service leader, so I played the piano to be ready just in case he needed a chorus. Keep in mind, Sis. DeAro and I played together Friday morning, too, without any problems.
We started service and our lead praise singer started with the wrong song. We were going to sing "We've Come to Magnify the Lord" and they sang, "I Came to Magnify the Lord." Same theme, no biggie. Except one song is in E minor and the other is in E flat. I went to E flat, but we seemed to limp through that song.
The second song was in the key of G. Doesn't get any more basic than that. "Look What the Lord has Done." I hit a G chord and knew immediately that something was wrong. I looked at Sis. DeAro, "Are you in G?" "Yes." Well, one of us was not in G!
I quickly transposed the keyboard down a half step. It sounded right part of the time, but there were times when it didn't! If I kept my hands near middle C, it seemed okay. But when I played lower notes on the keyboard, it seemed off. Ugh! It was a tough song service.
I was thrilled to move out of the way when the choir came up. But poor Les, he had been praise singing and didn't know what was going on. When he started playing his bass for choir, he was out of tune (the organ and keyboard were close because the keyboard was still on transpose.)
Apparently, due to excess moisture in the air near the ocean, the organ got out of tune some time on Friday. Unfortunately, it was not a full half step off, but somewhere between a half and a quarter step. There were quite a few humble musicians on the platform that night. So if pride is something you struggle with, start taking music lessons, the day will come when your pride will be knocked off the platform!
How about it fellow musicians ~ care to share a humbling story of your own?



11 comments:
Being a musician will keep you humble. -- SO TRUE, oh my word.
Prayer is essential to every service but I've learned that I need to put Extra Extra effort during my pre-service prayer. Not because I think that I'm a great singer {because I Don't!!} but I need to ensure that God is the one using me and not me singing on my own "ability".
If Not, I will Without Fail squeak in mic, get hoarse while singing, get super nervous, etc!
Oh my! I have to admit, I was wondering what was going on Friday night! lol I thought that someone had transposed the keyboard and that you were trying to figure out how to get it back to the right key. At least we can blame the ocean for this one! Ha!
Ok, so my humbling experiences started when I first started playing in church. I was 12 the first time I played in church, and my dad started slowly working me in (I was scared to death to play in front of people) When I got nervous my mind would go blank and I would hit the wrong chord, which would make me even more nervous! I would then freak out and desperately play another WRONG chord. Ruining the song service! Quite humbling! That's how I learned! lol
I also tripped on the platform walking down after singing in a kid's choir. Luckily I was only 9, but it was still embarrassing.
Jen L,
Yes, pre-service prayer is essential! I was feeling like a mid-service prayer meeting was in order as well.
Jen C,
I can only imagine how lovely it sounded out there! LOL! I asked Bro. Bass to please destroy that recording.
I remember playing for our choir one time and my mind going blank. It was during practice, but I just couldn't get it together. I finally said, "I know there's a B flat on this keyboard somewhere, I just can't find it!" Musicians really learn from their mistakes ~ anytime I struggle with a song, I go home and work on it until I figure out what I was doing wrong.
:o) Those things happen. We were wondering what was going on though. ;o)
Sis. K,
I thought maybe I was losing my hearing (or my mind!)
All I can say is, Embarrassing!!!"
Ouch!! It was SO painful!
Being a soloist can have the same embarrassing/humbling moments! I have decided that if I'm up there singing, it's for one of three reasons; I am to be a blessing, I need a blessing,or I need a good dose of humility. That last one is a duzzy! lol Happens to all of us as some point.
I'll take door #1, please! I'd rather be a blessing.
My dose of humility was quite large - well over 1000 people in attendance that night. What can you do? It definitely happens to all of us.
I did notice something a little off.. LOL..
I have to say it's embarrassing when a preacher or my pastor asks for a specific song and I don't know it.. I go red in the face in an instant while that awkward silence is goingon.. lol
O my, can I even begin to list the embarrassing moments I've had as a singer?? Lol!
One thing that has happened to me several times in the past is I miss the closing cue from my brother and continue singing on right into the hand clapping! EEk! Or when my voice squeaks! Double eek!
The nice thing about moments like these though is that by the end of service, most everyone forgets about it. Especially when the Holy Ghost really moves in the altars, which is what happened Friday night at PCC :D
Post a Comment