Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tie Your Shoes and Press On!


Until I started training for my marathon, I had never run with an iPod.  As my weekly long runs went from 10 to 13 to 18 to 22 miles, I knew I needed something to keep my brain occupied!  I have quite the variety, but I need fast songs to keep running!  I love slow worship songs, but not when I'm out running.  A couple of weeks ago the phrase "tie your shoes, my dear friend, and press on" kept running through my brain.  I finally asked my friend Mr. Google and the answer was the song "Press On" by Billy Sprague.  Some of you young'uns might not recognize it - it was written in 1993!

It's such an upbeat song, it makes me run faster!  But the words are so real.  Two phrases really stuck out to me while running last Saturday.

"And some days I found faith meant just tyin' my shoes."  When life is at its darkest, just getting up in the morning can take a great amount of work.  The act of tying your shoes says, "I'm going to keep going. I may not go fast, but I will go forward!" 



"I pray your memories will not drag you down, not be anchors but treasures of the love that you've found." Wow.  How memories can affect us.  Memories of blessings and loved ones can bring such joy.  Memories of hard times and losses can bring such pain.  I originally dedicated McMoments and Memories to Mom.  If I think about her battle with cancer, it can be an anchor, but she was a treasure and that is what I choose to hold on to.
PRESS ON
I was down in the valley of the shadow of death
Where the passion for life drained like blood from my chest
And it took more than my will just to take a step
When the compass of hope was gone

In a silence so black that I wished for the blues
Every desperate prayer seemed like Heaven refused
And some days I found faith meant just
Tyin' my shoes

And it was all I could do to press on


Press on me amigo, Press on mon ami
Walk on in the face of the mystery
Though the night hides the light
Through the darkness til dawn...
Tie your shoes, my dear friend
And press on


On the ocean so lonesome I was not left alone
Had some heavenly friends when my heart was a stone
And they carried my heartache and made it their own
When the current of sorrow was strong

(and one said)
"I pray your memories will not drag you down
Not be anchors but treasures of the love that you've found"

And His kind words turned hurt into comfort somehow
And the wind in my sails to press on
So press on me amigo, Press on mon ami
Walk on in the face of the mystery
Though the night hides the light and the journey is long...
Lean on me, my dear friend
And press on

Though the days seem like years...
There may be giants in our fears...
Ah, but they who sow in tears
They shall reap in joy
They shall run and leap for joy!

So press on me amigo, Press on mon ami
Walk on in the face of the mystery...
Though the night hides the light
And the journey is long...
Lean on me, my dear friend
And press on me amigo, Press on mon ami
Walk on in the face of the mystery
Though the night hides the light
And the journey is long...
Tie your shoes, my dear friend
And press on!

2 comments:

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Yo! Press on! I loved it! Got lots o' buddies to press on with, too!

Great advice.

Notions from Nonny said...

I could say so much,about how this hits home, but....you know... ;o)

All you can do is press on, and with God by your side....it can be done.
I am a living testimony!!

Wonderful post!!

Love,
Sis. K.

Verse of the Day