Good health and good sense are two of life's greatest blessings.
~ Mom's Bible
I was thinking the other day how thankful I am for good health. I've never broken any bones or had any surgeries. The last time I had to stay in the hospital was when I was born. I don't take it for granted, I strive to eat healthy and exercise, and I still know that my health could be wiped out in an instant. But for today, I'm healthy and glad!
I probably picked up the most germs when I was the secretary at Truth Tabernacle Christian School. As the secretary it was my responsibility to bandage scraped knees and call parents when little ones were sick. I'd be typing away at my desk (yes, I had a typewriter back then!) when I'd look up to see two little eyes staring at my over the counter. "Hey, what's wrong?" "I don't feel good." In those few moments germs would be shared and I'd do my best to take care of the child until their parent could arrive.
The funniest germ I ever picked up was chicken pox! I made it through my entire childhood without catching them, but when a couple of school kids got them, so did I! I was probably 22 at the time.
How did I manage going through childhood without chicken pox? Well, it's really quite simple. When Mom was pregnant with me, all three of my siblings had the chicken pox virus. That same virus (varicella-zoster) also causes shingles in adults. Guess who got shingles? Mom! Poor thing ~ pregnant, with three kids all under the age of 5 with chicken pox, and she got shingles. The doctor told her I could develop an immunity and possibly never get chicken pox. Well, the doctor was partially right ~ I made it through childhood without them...
So there I was, school secretary and helping sick kids. At first I thought I picked up the flu. I was running a fever, slight sore throat, etc. I had one little bump on my left arm... that turned into a whole bunch more. It was on the third morning that I woke up to a face covered with spots! At that point I was actually starting to feel better and all I could do was laugh! Thankfully, I was wise enough not to scratch and came away without any scars.
What about you ~ have you ever had childhood disease as an adult?



6 comments:
Is your blog letting you post stuff? My blog won't let me get to blogger.com I don't know WHAT's WRONG!!!
Mary,
No problems with my blog - I wrote this post about an hour ago. I was also able to go to blogger.com.
I'm no IT genius, but maybe shut everything down and try again?
I do not remember getting the chicken pox but I must have. Rachel had them when she was 4 and I didn't get them.
I do remember my older sister having the mumps when we were young and she got to stay home from school so I asked her to breathe on me so I would get them too. I was able to fake my mom out saying I had a sore throat and got to stay home from school but when no other symptoms transpired I was sent to school the following day.
The first year I was a public school teacher, I think I caught everthing virus the kids brought to school. It took me a couple of years to build up an immunity. I enjoy reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your life with others. God bless you.
Jennifer
heartscove.blogspot.com
YES!! I had to had my spleen removed when I was 19 and it affected my body's immune system. The following year I worked in a daycare and caught the Hand Foot and Mouth virus. The doctor said that he had never seen an adult catch that virus! Thank God for pencillian (sp?)!
So the real problem is working with kids!
Post a Comment