Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Thinking Time

I received this quote from Runner's World:
My favorite part of running is the thinking time. I'm a game designer, and whenever I have a hard design challenge or I'm trying to solve a problem, I run.
~Jane McGonigal, game designer and best-selling author 
I can relate to this so much.  Not that I'm a game designer or best-selling author, but running is my thinking time.  I don't run with an iPod or any other gadget (except my Garmin that tells me how far and fast/slow I've gone).  It's just me and my thoughts.  They bounce around like a pinball sometimes but I'm okay with that.

I've also started something new while running.  Once a week I have "hills" as my training run.  That means running the hilliest route I can find.  There are plenty of hills in my neighborhood so that's not the problem.  It's me getting up the hills without taking a walking break that can be tough.  About 6 weeks ago, I started up a hill with a 15% grade...

I had hit my lap button on my Garmin and the time was 2:38.  I immediately thought of Acts 2:38 and started quoting it.  Then I quoted Acts 2:39 and Philippians 4:11 and John 1:1 and Genesis 1:1 and.... on and on the verses rolled through my brain until I topped the hill. Some I could only think of parts of so I looked them up when I go home.

So now my thinking time has a new aspect.  My favorite verse on a really tough hill?  "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."  Philippians 4:13.  It's often "I... can...  do..."

Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."  The Word of God fits this description to a T!  Feel free to think about it anytime.

2 comments:

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

My favorite "old" song to sing on my power walks is this:

Climbing up the mountain
Trying to reach the top
Almost finished my battle
I've gone halfway and I just can't stop
At the end of the mountain
There is faith and trust
I can see Jesus standing there to meet us
I thank God!
I've almost reached the top

Kathy McElhaney said...

I'll remember that song when I head out for my 15 mile run tomorrow!

Verse of the Day