Thursday, July 29, 2010

An Epic Climb and a Mighty Fall

After our bike ride on Tuesday morning I told Les, "I want to go up Santa Su on Thursday." Santa Su is short for Santa Susana Pass Road. This is a steep, 2+ mile climb about 3 miles from our house. Les looked at me in surprise, but once it was out of my mouth there was no turning back!

I wavered in my commitment quite a bit yesterday. I was trying to figure out how to get myself out of that little promise. I knew the challenge was only to me, Les has ridden it hundreds of times. I went to bed last night thinking, "What have I gotten myself into?"

We were up early this morning and I was getting more nervous by the minute. Just before we left, I reread yesterday's post and made a few promises to myself. "I promise to trust myself." "I promise to try something new."

And I Did It!! I made it to the top of Santa Su without stopping. I was in my lowest gear, but I did it!! I was so happy, surprised, and relived!! Yeah for my first Epic Climb!


At the top of Santa Su, we crossed over the 118 freeway. At that point we had a decision to make - turn around and go home or go up a dirt trail called "Rocky Peak." This is where my "Mighty Fall" took place. We started up an extremely steep dirt trail and I just toppled over! Right into the bushes!! I have the scraped knee to prove it, but I'm not hurt too severely since I was barely moving at the time. Les says I am now initiated - I've fallen off my bike!

The final result: The Epic Climb outweighed the Mighty Fall!

7 comments:

Notions from Nonny said...

Wow!! Your going to be climbing Mt. Everest next!! :o)

Kathy McElhaney said...

I have a LONG way to go for that! But it is fun seeing improvement and knowing there is room for more.

Anonymous said...

Peep!! You did it and that's all that matters!! Love you :)

Chloee

Kathy McElhaney said...

Thanks, Peep! I was feeling very pleased with myself until I fell over!!

Love you!

jennifer lord said...

YOWCH! I glad that the climb outweighed the fall though! (sounds like a message waiting to be preached!)

Girly Muse said...

Aw, so sorry you fell, but so proud of you for going for it!!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

I have to confess that my leg hurts more today than it did yesterday. Gonna have a whopper of a bruise!

Verse of the Day