Friday, December 23, 2022

Friday Foodie

Two Friday Foodies in one week!  This time it's all about pizza.  A few months ago Les asked me to make homemade bread.  I've owned a bread maker for years but I've never really cared for how the bread turned out.  The crust is almost burnt while the middle isn't quite done.  I ordered Krusteaz Hawaiian Sweet No Knead Bread Mix from Amazon and just baked it in my oven.  It turns out perfect every time.

About a month ago I made spaghetti. Les suggested that I use the sauce as a base for pizza.  We then decided that using homemade bread for the crust would be an excellent idea.  The Krusteaz website had a recipe for Sourdough Pizza, so I knew it was doable.  It finally happened this week.


Homemade Pizza

Ingredients:
One box Krusteaz Hawaiian Sweet Bread mix (or Sourdough bread mix)
Spaghetti sauce
Pepperoni
Salami
Olives
Italian cheeses
Garlic salt
 
1. Prepare spaghetti sauce and let simmer in crock pot all day.  FYI - My spaghetti sauce is NEVER the same!  Sometimes I use ground beef, other times I use ground sausage or sausage links.  I usually add diced tomatoes, bell peppers and mushrooms and season to taste.  A great starting point is Rosalie's Marinara Sauce.
 
2. Prepare dough as directed on package adding water and yeast.  Let dough rise as directed (about 2 hours.)

3.  Preheat oven to 400°F.  Punch dough down and transfer to lightly floured surface. Press dough into 14-inch circle. Place on lightly greased pizza pan. Let rest 10 minutes. Press again to edge of pan. Pierce with a fork at 1-inch intervals.  Sprinkle garlic salt on dough.

4.  Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Top with your favorite pizza toppings. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes.


This is exactly what we were looking for!  So many wonderful flavors.  As you can see, my #1 taste tester was thrilled! 


This won't be the last time I make pizza this way!  There are so many ways you can make this.  Choose your own toppings.  Go with a white sauce.  You could also split the dough in half and bake two smaller pizzas if you want to keep toppings separate.  My side had about twice as many olives!  Les even got a small bowl of the sauce to dip his pizza crust in.


Next up, I'm making fresh bread on Saturday so we can have French toast for our Christmas day brunch.

No comments:

Verse of the Day