This year I am working on reading my Bible through again. I love using YouVersion. I'm following "Bible in One Year 2022 with Nicky Gumbel." Each day includes a devotional that ties together readings from the Old and New Testament along with verses from Psalms or Proverbs. I finished Genesis this morning and was reminded of something I wrote about Joseph, it was originally posted on January 16, 2010:
I've been reading the story of Joseph and a new realization hit. I'm
familiar with his response to his brothers, "But as for you, ye thought
evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is
this day, to save much people alive." (Genesis 50:20) But I had never
thought about the fact that he did nothing to Potiphar's wife once he
became second in command in Egypt.
An additional chapter in
Genesis could have been written. We could have read about Potiphar, his
wife, and entire household being hauled off to prison. Here was
Joseph's opportunity for revenge! He could have told Pharaoh all about
his problems with that woman, but as far as I can tell, he moved on.
There were seven years of plenty to work and plan for before seven years
of famine. He had work to do - he was too busy for grudges!
What
a tremendous example! How many times have you or I been hurt, talked
about, or mistreated and then we sit around waiting for the one who has
wrong us to be paid back? We can't get on with the task at hand because
we're too busy plotting our revenge and having imaginary conversation
that usually never take place. There is too much work to do! Grudges
only hurt the one carrying them. The best thing we can do is move on.
2010
is still relatively new (although it seems to be moving at the speed of
light!). How about it? Can you leave 2009 and its hurts behind? I
know this, there is plenty to do! (*2022 got here in the blink of an eye, didn't it?)
This reminded me of another post I wrote about forgiveness. The entire post can be read here, but the Purpose of the Church was a fabulous message we heard in Hawaii. These bullet points about liberation are so good. In light of Joseph's life, he truly did escape the prison of unforgiveness.
Liberation
There are two things that lock you in prison that you cannot escape - a lie and unforgiveness.
Unforgiveness causes chaos and health issues.
Forgiveness is not an option. Your best life cannot happen if you won't release the junk you hold on to.
Revenge means that you become God. It never works.
Baptism frees us from our past. God forgives us, but He can't forgive FOR us.
True forgiveness cannot happen unless you give up all control and hope for revenge.
There are two things that lock you in prison that you cannot escape - a lie and unforgiveness.
Unforgiveness causes chaos and health issues.
Forgiveness is not an option. Your best life cannot happen if you won't release the junk you hold on to.
Revenge means that you become God. It never works.
Baptism frees us from our past. God forgives us, but He can't forgive FOR us.
True forgiveness cannot happen unless you give up all control and hope for revenge.
3 comments:
This is soooo true!!! And NOW I'm randomly wondering IF God got Potiphar's wife back??? LOL
I've wondered that, too. At the very least she had to stand on the sidelines and watch as Joseph was second in command.
True!!! Sometimes the agonizing over what will happen to you is punishiment enough!!!
Post a Comment