Thursday, July 19, 2018

You Led Me to Believe

Sweet Comfort Band was a Christian band that was popular in the 70s and early 80s.  I've got some of their songs on my phone and was listening to them yesterday while I was out running.  One song in particular has stayed on my mind.  "You Led Me to Believe" has some sobering words about someone who walked away from the faith.

I've thought about this song a lot lately and I am filled was thanks for those who led me to believe.  I'm also so grateful that the ones who led me to believe have kept the faith.  My mom, pastors, Sunday school teachers, youth leaders.  I can't think of a single one who walked away.

I know that is not always the case.  I know of pastors and pastor's wives who have thrown it all away.  Parents and spouses who have left.  It's painful, more than I can adequately express.

If you're thinking about walking about from what you know is true, Stop.  Think about it.  Pray about it.  And stop.  Don't go.  Don't throw it all away.  It's not just about you.  There's a lot at stake.

If you've watched the one who led you to believe walk away, don't let that turn you away.  Don't turn one tragedy in to two.  Hold on to the One you were led to, not the one who led you there.  Keep holding on to all the thing you know are true.

You Led Me to Believe

You had the starring role that I wished I could play
So I learned every line that you were known to say
I stood in the shadows when the spotlight hit your face
But I never dreamed you'd throw it all away
After You'd take the stage you could do no wrong
And I was the first to cheer when you would start the song
I hid by the curtain and I softly sang along
But I never dreamed you'd throw it all away

You led me to believe
And I followed everything you'd say and do
You led me to believe
You've changed your way of thinking now
But I know what is true
And I will keep on holding on to all the things
You led me to believe

You were the guiding light for all who passed your way
The neighborhood Superman who always saved the day
You were the model, I was the clay
But I never dreamed you would throw it all away

You led me to believe
And I followed everything you'd say and do
You led me to believe
You've changed your way of thinking now
But I know what is true
And I will keep on holding on to all the things
You led me to believe

Now I miss you everyday and it cuts me to the bone
You have gone so far away and I must stand alone
I kept the things you taught to me and I found them to be true
I only wish that you believed them, too

You led me to believe
And I followed everything you'd say and do
You led me to believe
You've changed your way of thinking now
But I know what is true
And I will keep on holding on to all the things
You led me to believe

No comments:

Verse of the Day