Tuesday, September 5, 2017

I Am A Rock

Is it easy for you to ask for help when you need it, or do you prefer to rely only on yourself? Why?


I think it's ironic that this topic came up after last week's post about Jezebel.  Jezebel's name translated in Hebrew is "without cohabitation; an island" which literally means that she will not live in one accord with anyone.  I studied Jezebel during my study of the Women in the Bible in 2015.  Of all the women I studied, she was the most evil.  Not only was she devious, but even after a curse was placed upon her she never humbled herself to ask for help from God or man.   Her final act was "she painted her face, and tired her head, and looked out at a window. " (2 Kings 9:30)  "Jezebel did this that she might present an imposing appearance to Jehu and die as a queen.  ((Keil and Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament) 


In 1624 John Donne wrote, "No man is an island."  I would be foolish to think I can rely completely on myself.  Asking for help is not a sign of weakness.  You can be strong and confident but you will still need help in life.

It can be something as simple as when I asked the worker at Target this morning to reach for something on a shelf.  I'm 5'2" and without a ladder, I wasn't going to get the item. When I started training for my first marathon, I searched for a training plan.  I knew without help that running 26.2 miles was not going to happen.  Of course it's much bigger than that - we need help spiritually, physically, emotionally, and even financially sometimes.


Needing help is a two way street.  There are times when I need help but there are also times when I can help someone in need.  Galatians chapter 6 says, "Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.  For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." (verse 2, 3, and 10)

"I Need You To Survive"

Chorus:
I need you
You need me
We're all a part of God's body
Stand with me
Agree with me
We're all a part of God's body
It is his will that every need be supplied
You are important to me
I need you to survive
You are important to me
I need you to survive 

Bridge:
I pray for you
You pray for me
I love you
I need you to survive
I won't harm you
With words from my mouth
I love you
I need you to survive

No comments:

Verse of the Day