Friday, May 12, 2017

Friday Foodie ~ Mom's Goodies Repost


I've really got Mom on my mind this week!  This post originally appeared on August 13, 2008.

Every talent, strength, and compassion is a gift of God.
- Mom's Bible

Not every gift is one that can be used on the platform at church. The strength of men as they build a church, compassion to visit someone in the hospital, baking a cake or casserole for a family - all these are gifts that make the kingdom of God a better place.

Mom was not known in our family as a fabulous cook. She had a few things she liked to cook, but for the most part, cooking wasn't her thing. Now baking, that was a different story!


As far back as I can remember, Mom was a talented baker. Cookies, brownies, cakes, donuts. She learned to decorate cakes, so we had beautiful birthday cakes and she even made all of us kids' wedding cakes. At Christmas time she pulled out all the stops and made several kinds of candy. Teachers, pastors, neighbors, friends, and relatives were all recipients of Mom's goodies. She used her talent to bless others.

Mom's goodies always greeted us when got home from school. Hmm... maybe that's why I always get the munchies in the afternoon!


The first time Les came to visit, in typical Mom fashion, she withheld judgment when she first met him. Dad thought he was great (even if he did call him by another name), but Mom wasn't ready to comment. At some point I told Mom that Les liked brownies... and the second time he came to visit, what did she bake? Brownies! I knew he had won her over!

Whatever your gift... don't hide it. And if you feel like making me some brownies... ;)

No comments:

Verse of the Day